6.4.1 release candidate testing

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 1 10:07:16 EDT 2005

This is to announce that testing for 6.4.1 has begun.  Snapshots from
20050730 onwards are release candidates - please test if you can.
Snapshots are available from here:

   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist/

we have source snapshots, and binaries for Linux/x86 (RH 9.1 era),
Linux/x86_64 (FC3 era), and Windows.

A *huge* number of fixes have gone in since 6.4.  Also, big news is that
Linux/x86_64 will have a new native code generator and GHCi support
(including Template Haskell), so we'd especially like to hear from
anyone that can test on Linux/x86_64.  The GHCi support isn't complete:
the interpreter can't currently handle FFI, and there are problems with
data references to shared libraries from dynamically-loaded .o files,
but otherwise it should be functional.

We're planning for a release in 1-2 weeks.  I'm going to be offline for
a while from mid-Aug, but hopefully we'll get the release out before
then.

Please remember to put the full version number in any bug report, and
happy testing!