[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: uu-parsinglib-2.0.0

S. Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Tue Apr 28 17:43:34 EDT 2009

The new uu-parsinglib package is the first version of the new parsing
combinator library package from Utrecht University.

Features:
   - online result construction
   - much simpler internals than the combinators in the uulib package,
because of the availabilty of GADT's and other extensions
     which have become available over the last ten years
   - error correction
   - parsing ambiguous grammars (even with online result
construction), provided one is willing to label a non-terminal as
ambiguous
   - monadic interface. We solve a problem in the "Polish parsing"
monadic construct, which could lead to a black hole in combination with
     error correction
   - instead of trying to make everything a parameter we rely a bit
more on the user to provide some basic functions, based on given
     canonical implementations
   - no abstract interpretation yet, as found in the original uulib
package. So if you have large grammars with many alternatives
     the uulib package is to be preferred
   - extensive motivation and documentation found in a technical
report  available from the web page

Cons:
   - the package is likely to change and be extended in the near
future as we incorprorate more of the uulib library into the new package

Pros:
   - suggestions are welcome

  Doaitse Swierstra