Data.Map API

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:09:45 EST 2005

Hello,

I have been using 'Data.Map' from the library distributed with GHC/Hugs,
and I quite like it.  Often though, I find myself needing a function
that behaves like this:

> import Data.Map (Map); import qualified Data.Map as Map hiding (Map)
>
> insert1 :: Ord k => k -> (Maybe v -> v) -> Map k v -> (v, Map k v)
> insert1 k f m   = let v = f (Map.lookup k m)
>                   in (v, Map.insert k v m)

In words, we use a function to determine what to place in the map,
depending on what is already in the map.  In the result, we return
the new map, and the value that was inserted in the map.  Here is an
example of how we may use this function:

> example m           = insert1 0 v m
>   where v Nothing   = 0
>         v (Just n)  = n + 1

Clearly, I can implement this function myself as above.  However, I was
wondering if I can achieve the same, without searching in the map twice.
I came up with the following:

> insert2 :: Ord k => k -> (Maybe v -> v) -> Map k v -> (v, Map k v)
> insert2 k f m   = (v,m')
>   where
>   v             = f r
>   (r, m')       = Map.insertLookupWithKey g k v m
>   g _ x _       = x

Is there a more direct way to implement this function?  The use of lazyness
in this case seems like an overkill.  If not, I would like to suggest that we
add it to the API.  Also, it seems that some of the functions in
the library are quite easy to implement in terms of this function,
so perhaps they don't need to be in the API?

> insertWith' :: Ord k => (v -> v -> v) -> k -> v -> Map k v -> Map k v
> insertWith' f k v m = snd (insert2 k (maybe v (f v)) m)
>
> insertWithKey' :: Ord k => (k -> v -> v -> v) -> k -> v -> Map k v -> Map k v
> insertWithKey' f k v m = snd (insert2 k (maybe v (f k v)) m)

-Iavor
PS: How do people import 'Data.Map'?  The above seems clunky...