Haskell Hackaton in Cambridge, UK, August 12-14, 2011
Come and spend a weekend in Cambridge hacking Haskell code in great surroundings with fantastic company! Haskell Hackathons are a tradition where everyone is welcome; we get together, work on projects with others or just do your own thing, the overall goal being to improve the Haskell ecosystem.
CamHac will be held from 12-14 August 2011, at Homerton College in Cambridge. As with previous Hackathons, all are welcome -- you do not have to be a Haskell guru. All you need is a basic knowledge of Haskell, a willingness to learn, and a project you're excited to help with (or a project of your own to work on).
There will be lots of hacking, good food, and, of course, fun!
- Organiser: Simon Marlow (JaffaCake on IRC)
- Mailing list: email@example.com
- IRC channel: #ghc on FreeNode
Many thanks to Microsoft Research Cambridge for agreeing to sponsor the event.
Registration deadline: Friday 15th July 2011
Registration is free. To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you would like to register for the "Haskell Hackathon", with the following information
Full name: Which days you are attending on: day 1: yes/no day 2: yes/no day 3: yes/no Dietary requirements:
The venue is limited to 50 (edit: now 72!) people, and registration is first-come first-served, so register quickly to reserve your place! (but only register if you definitely intend to come, and please let us know if you find you cannot make it for any reason after you have registered, so we can re-allocate your place).
Some people will probably want to travel on Friday morning and join us later on that day - that's absolutely fine.
Times: we have the room booked all day for the three days, and we'll probably start around 10am and finish around 6pm. Exact time details to be confirmed later.
There will be WiFi access.
There will be a projector for giving talks/demos. We will probably reserve a part of the time for talks and demos.
Tea and coffee will be supplied. We will have to go out to find lunch, but there are various places to eat and buy food at the Cambridge Leisure Park a few minutes walk towards Cambridge town centre. In the evening we will probably head towards the town where there are plenty of good restaurants.
5 Local arrangements
5.1 Getting to Cambridge
5.1.1 By Plane
- Stansted Airport: Stansted is the nearest of the London-area airports to Cambridge. It is mostly served by flights to and from mainland Europe, Ireland, and elsewhere in the UK. By train it is about 30 minutes to Cambridge, bus about 1 hour.
- Heathrow Airport: Heathrow is the principal London-area airport and one of the busiest in Europe with a wide range of national, European, and international services. By train it is about 1h30 to 2h to Cambridge (Heathrow Express is faster but more expensive).
- Gatwick Airport: Gatwick is the second "London" airport with a wide range of national, European and international services. By train it is about 2h to Cambridge.
- Other airports: Luton Airport, Norwich airport, and Southend airport are other regional airports in the East Anglia region. If you use these, car or taxi is the best option for travel to Cambridge.
5.1.2 Trains from London
London has two train lines into Cambridge, London Kings Cross and London Liverpool Street. There is a regular service on both lines and duration is under an hour on the direct trains. Go to National Rail to check train times.
You can usually by tickets at the station both at a ticket machine or a staffed counter. You usually will not be able to buy tickets on the train without paying a fine. Tickets can be cheaper if you buy off-peak and return trip. Off-peak tickets are usually valid on weekends and after 10 a.m. on weekdays. Make sure, though, to check National Rail for which trains are eligible for off-peak tickets.
5.2 Getting to the venue
Walk from the train station (about 15 minutes)
Local Taxis: Panther Taxis 01223 715715
The nearest hotels to the venue seem to be:
- Travelodge (Cambridge Central) is just a few minutes walk from the venue. It is currently charging £65.80 per night for 11-14 August.
- Helen Hotel
- Bridge Guest House
- Fairways Guest House
- Abbeyfield Guest House
- Rock View Guest House
- Alington House Guest House
- Cambridge Youth Hostel. The hostel does not offer single rooms, but you might be able to organise a group to occupy one 4-bed room.
- Stay in Cambridge Colleges
If you contact any of the above and find they're booked up, please remove them from the list.
Microsoft Research recommends the following hotels to visitors, these are closer to the city centre but are probably a lot more expensive than those above:
Use this space to list projects you are interested in working on, and add your name to projects you are interested in helping with.
- General hacking away at Snap Framework (exact goals TBD), perhaps adding/improving documentation/tutorials at the same time. (Jurriën Stutterheim, Twey)
- Something games/3d related? (Stephen L)
- LambdaCube 3D engine (Csaba Hruska)
- Designing/proposing/implementing a richer or more 'haskelly' API for the network package (Ben Millwood, Twey)
- Writing a library that implements the ideas of Typing Haskell In Haskell to type-check, say, a haskell-src-exts AST (Ben Millwood)
- Simon Marlow
- Jurriën Stutterheim
- Neil Mitchell
- Jasper Van der Jeugt
- Max Bolingbroke
- Ben Millwood ‘benmachine’
- Roman Leshchinskiy
- Gregory Collins
- Martijn van Steenbergen
- Sjoerd Visscher
- Sebastiaan Visser
- Tom Lokhorst
- Erik Hesselink
- Jeff Foster
- Sebastian Korten
- Alessandro Vermeulen
- Vlad Hanciuta
- Ganesh Sittampalam
- Eric Kow
- Alexander Njemz
- Mikolaj Konarski
- Ian Lynagh
- Andres Löh
- Jeroen Janssen
- Nicolas Wu
- Duncan Coutts
- Dominic Orchard
- Jacek Generowicz
- Owen Stephens
- Benedict Eastaugh
- Stephen Lavelle
- Sam Martin
- Alex Horsman
- Andy Georges
- Niklas Larsson
- Raeez Lorgat
- Maryna Strelchuk
- Vincent Hanquez
- Chris Done
- Tomas Petricek
- Thomas Schilling
- Dragos Ionita
- Simon Meier
- Will Thompson
- Sergii Strelchuk
- Lennart Kolmodin
- Philippa Cowderoy
- Steven Keuchel
- Michal Terepeta
- Maciek Makowski
- Johannes Weiß
- Alejandro Serrano
- Mike McClurg
- Stefan Wehr
- David Leuschner
- James ‘Twey’ Kay
- Simon PJ
- Neill Bogie
- Csaba Hruska
- Bart Coppens
- Add your name here, once registered...