Hac5: The 5th Haskell Hackathon
April 17-19, 2009 Utrecht, The Netherlands
The 5th Haskell Hackathon will be held from April 17 to 19, 2009, in the city of Utrecht in the Netherlands. This year's event is being organized by members of the Department of Information and Computing Sciences at Utrecht University. The Haskell Hackathon is a collaborative coding festival with a simple focus: build and improve Haskell libraries, tools, and infrastructure. Of course, we have fun doing it, too!
- 2009-02-11: The date has been picked.
Check out the possible projects that you might work on or add your own.
If you will be attending, please register. The number of attendees may be limited, depending on availability of space or other resources.
See who else is attending. If you've already registered, please add yourself to the list.
- April 17-19 2009
If sufficiently many participants are already around on April 16 or are still around on April 20, a small symposium and/or an excursion could be organized.
7.1 Getting there
- Schiphol Airport (AMS) is the main airport of the Netherlands. There is a train station right underneath the airport, and every 15min there is a direct train to Utrecht.
- The airport in Eindhoven (EIN) is cheaper than Schiphol, so many low-cost airlines fly there. There is a bus terminal outside the airport which will take you to Eindhoven station.
- International trains (UK, France, Belgium, Germany)
- National trains
- General information
- NS is the main public transport railway company in the Netherlands. You can buy tickets on machines at the station (you can also practice this online). Maestro Debit cards are usually accepted and credit cards should work too, but in practice I've seen many people having trouble with this.
- If you pay with cash you have to go the counter, where you'll be charged extra for the ticket.
- From Schiphol, trains depart to Utrecht every 15min. The ticket price is €7,80 (second class, full-fare, one-way). The trip takes about 30min.
- From Eindhoven Airport, first you have to take bus 401 to Eindhoven station. There is a ticket machine inside the bus but you will need (Euro) coins to pay. Then from Eindhoven station you can take the train to Utrecht. There are trains every 15min to Utrecht Centraal. The ticket price is €12,80 (second class, full-fare, one-way). The trip takes about 50min.
- General information
- Arriving at Utrecht Central
- Outside the train station in Utrecht is the main bus station. From there you can take buses number 11, 12 or 12S to the University. The trip takes about 20min and takes 3 'strippen'.
7.1.4 Local transportation
- Travelling by bus
There is also an annotated Google Map with important locations.
9.1 What to bring
- A laptop
- Wireless card if necessary. There will be wireless network access. Ethernet access will probably not be available. If you really need ethernet access, please contact the organizers.
- Power adapters if necessary. Power sockets in the Netherlands are 220-240V CEE 7/4 (a.k.a. "Schuko").
- Mobile phone
9.2 Before you arrive
- Pick out a couple of projects to work on and familiarise yourself with them
- Install an up to date Haskell toolchain (preferrably ghc-6.10.1).
10 Previous Haskell Hackathons
11.1 Mailing list
11.2 IRC channel
The organisers for Hac5 are:
- Andres Löh
- José Pedro Magalhães
- Sean Leather
- Eelco Lempsink
- Chris Eidhof