The Haskell Platform is a blessed library and tool suite for Haskell, along with installers for a wide variety of systems.
The platform saves you the task of picking and choosing the best Haskell libraries and tools to use for a task. Distro maintainers that support the Haskell Platform can be confident they're fully supporting Haskell as the developers intend it. Developers targetting the platform can be confident they have a trusted base of code to work with.
See the Platform Issue Tracker for further information.
The platform is specified via a Cabal file:
The initial release targets, 2009.2.0
- Classic Extra Libs
- haddock, happy and alex
- cabal-install and its dependencies.
2 Volunteers needed!
The platform requires installer developers, and distro maintainers, for every OS distro we care about. If you are able to help out on your system, please sign up to the mailing list, or drop by #ghc @ freenode.
- Issue tracker and dev wiki
- Darcs repository: contains the meta-package and scripts for the generic unix tarball
- Mailing list
- IRC channel: #ghc @ freenode.org
- Download statistics for Haskell Packages
- Haskell: Batteries Included, position paper by Don, Duncan and Isaac.
- Slides from the Haskell Platform talk
- Haskell Platform discussion
- Bryan O'Sullivan's writeup of the future of Haskell discussion
- A discussion took place in June and July 2008 about the direction of the HLP.
- More occurred during the #ghc meeting
5 Distribution format
- Source distribution
- .tar.gz bundle compatible with extra-libs
- Windows Installed
- Native distro packages
The HP will be the first meta-package on hackage, that depends on the platform library set. With this,
cabal install haskell-platform
will be possible.
The initial release is expected to include only BSD3 licensed software.
The platform includes programs, such as haddock or cabal-install. These aren't nicely tracked from the cabal meta package yet.
8 Related projects
- Python libraries
- Gnome's release process
- How to propose modules for GNOME
- OCaml Batteries
- [Lua for Windows http://luaforwindows.googlecode.com/]
Haskell Platform infrastructure team:
- Duncan Coutts (Well Typed)
- Don Stewart (Galois)