Please move to past events:
- SF Bay Area Haskell User Group: Iteratees, July 13, 2011 @ 7pm, San Francisco, CA
- HacPDX: Portland Hackathon, July 22-24, 2011, Portland, OR
- Cambridge Hackathon, August 12-14, 2011, Cambridge, UK
1 Usability: Developer Tools
One of the things a beginner wants to find out quickly is: What tools are available for the developer? The front page does have a link to [Applications_and_libraries/Program_development], which has exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Unfortunately, I overlooked it the first few times because I was scanning for words like "tools" or "editors" or "IDEs". Maybe it would be a good idea to simply rename the article to "Developer Tools". I think that's a better description of the content, and it would make it easier for beginners to find the info.
--Amy de B 21:17, 19 December 2009 (UTC)
2 New book on the market,especially for Romania and Moldova
A new book (by Dan Popa from Bacau State Univ.) called "Practice of monads interpreters" - title translated by the editor - (orig. Practica Interpretarii monadice) is on the market. It is offered by the MatrixRom Pub. House http://www.matrixrom.ro . Suport: Paper Price: 20 lei (less then 7 euros, grab it !!). Language: romanian (yet.)
The Ro/Page of the book is here: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Practica_interpretarii_monadice
Other books by MatrixRom are here: http://www.matrixrom.ro/english/publishing/domains/computer_science.php?id=901#901
May I add it on the Headline section or somewhere else on the front page, this week ? Or should I make an English page for this (long) text ?
3 Question Concerning Who's using Haskell?
Haskell is used at Bacau State University (www.ub.ro) by Lect. Drd. Dan Popa as a tool for DSL (ak. domain small languges) building. Also, DSLs like Rodin are used as tools for teaching "Fundamentals of Programming Languages".
Should I add this note on the main page ? Can anybody check it (ex. spelling) and post it. Thx
If no remarks will be made during this week I will consider such news as acceptable and accepted the first page of www.haskell.org . With no votes against them.
4 Search Box doesn't find short words
Just leaving a note here to say that the Search box and button at the top of the page now works properly except for words of three characters or less. These are not indexed and will give no results. (See Haskell-Cafe post by Mads Lindstrøm for possible administrator technical solution and related threads.) --Rk
5 EduSoft.ro URL
THE EduSoft URL is: www.edusoft.ro NOT edusoft.com. You can see it in the Ro/Haskell page ! See the details. Thank you for other (wellcome) corrections.
- Calm down, I've fixed it. Naturally I googled it and assumed the parent company was the one to link to. --Gwern 23:04, 13 December 2007 (UTC)
6 Logo and design
IMO the logo and design looks very amateurish. Are there no Haskell programmers with some experience in graphic design? Or maybe someone who knows someone? --SebastianSylvan 13:06, 11 January 2006 (EST)
- The logo seems to be well established as the "Haskell" logo. —Ashley Y 14:42, 11 January 2006 (EST)
- That doesn't change anything. In fact, it makes it worse! Appearances matter, if someone who doesn't know Haskell comes here, sees an amateurish web and logo design, they may not consider Haskell a "real" language, but rather an amateurish effort not suited for real work. In fact I'd prefer an approach similar to e.g. the ruby web site (no logo at all, rather than an amateurish logo). --SebastianSylvan 03:49, 12 January 2006 (EST)
- I should clarify that the "Haskell" headline logo is what irks me the most. The lambda-logo thing isn't as bad, although it suffers from many of the same problems ("every-effect-in-photoshop-syndrome"). I'd like it more if it was just a two color logo (and not necessarily green and purple) without all those highlights and bevels.--SebastianSylvan 04:11, 12 January 2006 (EST)
- You could raise the issue on the mailing list. The round logo at least is used on other haskell sites. —Ashley Y 21:24, 31 January 2006 (UTC)
Is there some way to suppress the wiki page title? - at the moment the page says 'Haskell' in small letters right above a huge logo also saying 'Haskell'. It looks pretty stupid. -- MikeDodds 15:01, 20 February 2006 (UTC)
The round logo at the left (which I agree is pretty garish) still takes a line by itself, leaving lots of dead white space for only a centered page title to follow it. I suggest leaving the logo at the top left, then moving the page title to the top-right. This will fix the aforementioned silliness with the home page title as well as clear up a little vertical real estate. -- Chuck Adams 17:24, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- There is a way, but we'd need somebody with admin rights on the wiki to edit the relevant skin file: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/1521
- -- kowey 13:45, 17 February 2007 (UTC)
I'm going to change this page to better reflect the existing content of the wiki, rather than the content of haskell.org. —Ashley Y 05:43, 14 January 2006 (UTC)
We should probably clean up some of the clutter. I'd like to transfer everything more or less as is and the let the site go to the wiki before coming back to clean up. I'm planning to leave the old web pages for things like the history of Haskell alone at the moment. --John Peterson 17:36, 24 January 2006 (UTC)
Maybe the "learning" section should be improved? As it is none of the links under it are extremely useful. Maybe they could be concatenated and split up into "tutorials" for mere mortals, and papers which probably aren't as useful to the newbie? Also, an idea is to redesign to have the news section up in front and visible. The more important items in HWN etc. could be put here (significant new libraries etc). After all, most people are very web-centric these days so using the Haskell.org site as a general announcement page is probably a good idea if it doesn't get too cluttered.
In fact, I already have a 'significant news' page generated from the HWN archives, here. If this headlines of this kind of content is what we'd like to appear in a news bar on the page somewhere, just make a place, and I'll update it as the HWN is published each week. -- Don Stewart
- Please do! I think significant news (about new libraries, for instance) should be on the front page. If for no other reason than letting casual browsers know that the community is active. Just add titles (with dates) on each news entry on the existing news page. --SebastianSylvan 15:33, 13 March 2006 (UTC)
8 Plan : whitespace issues
I've made the "Haskell : A purely functional language" smaller now, so its more inline with with python.org, and perl.org logos. My model is python.org, I think our img header should be only a bit bigger than that.
The problem still remains that there is too much empty whitespace at the top of the page, before the real content. Ideally I'd like:
- 1. a smaller circular logo, about 80% of the current size
- 2. align the circle and text logos.
- 3. remove the "Haskell" wiki title from the page
So we just need to work out how to do steps 2 and 3.
Opinions? -- User:DonStewart Wed Apr 12 16:23:47 EST 2006
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to remove the title on a particular page. I asked about it on the Mediawiki irc channel, and I found this thread on the Mediawiki-l mailing list. -- JohnHamilton 19:07, 14 April 2006 (UTC)
9 Search with Hoogle box?
Lots of websites have a search with google box, maybe a search with hoogle box on the front page (small and discrete) would be appropriate? --Neil Mitchell 13:42, 20 February 2006 (UTC)
- That might be a good idea - the only thing that you'd have to be careful about is that it needs to be clear that Hoogle isn't a web search engine. You could easily confuse people, especially given the name - MikeDodds 17:43, 27 February 2006 (UTC)
10 Well-formedness / validity
Not sure where to put this...
Currently every Haskell-wiki page is invalid XHTML 1.0 Transitional and in fact not even well-formed XML (as I mention on my Wikipedia user page, which I'll update if this is fixed!). Most browsers don't mind because it's served as text/html, which it needs to stay for Internet Explorer... Anyway. Whoever controls the header at the top of the haskell-wiki pages:
- Assuming the (X)HTML in the header can be modified...
- The <form> in the header (the search box) is a block-level element. However it occurs inside a <p> element that contains
- Haskell | Wiki community | Recent changes
- Random page | Upload file | Special pages
- (search box)
- This is not even very much like a paragraph. Turning that <p>...</p> into a <div>...</div> would fix this.
- The Haskell logo in the top left corner is implemented with <img ...>. Firstly, this is not well-formed! It should end like <img ... />. Secondly, it needs an alt="something" attribute. Since this logo also functions as a link, the alt text should be non-empty. I suggest alt="λ" (replacing the logo with a lambda character, which is utf-8 as per the character encoding, or perhaps the equivalent alt="λ")
Testing these changes in my own copy, in Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 2 and Konqueror 3.5.5, I observed no ill effects (and a nice lambda effect when the image was unavailable in firefox, konqueror and some text-only browser). And the W3C HTML validator was happy and the CSS validator (which relies on the XML correctness) worked.
Hoping this is an easy fix -Isaac Dupree 19:12, 19 February 2007 (UTC)
- Now HaskellWiki is well-formed and valid - Isaac Dupree 14:02, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
- I can't guarantee that, it's quite possible that some page's wiki content will translate to bad XHTML. —Ashley Y 01:06, 7 August 2007 (UTC)
After you register at the online super casino, you can gamble at various casino games either for real or for fun. In both the plays the game odds are the same and the only difference is that the money plays are for real money and the free games are for fun and a great way for you to practice before you play for real. You can always play for fun even if you have real money, and then wager in the game this will definitely increase your odds.
Visit Palace casino,for a very enjoyable, gambling and gaming experience, the smoke free hotel offers great service and food that is loved by all. If you love slots then you will definitely enjoy playing the game and have great winnings.
Free online blackjack is offered in almost all the casinos online, you can play the game free and enhance your skills before playing for real money in a casino.
If you are unfamiliar with the rules of casino blackjack or simply need some clarification on the finer points, then play blackjack free online and get familiar with the various odds and rules.
Play free casino slot and get the confidence to join the progressive jackpots and professional tournament plays to win great from the game.
Shops for Cheap poker tables online, of different shapes, made with different materials and along with different features, compare the costs easily and find a higher variety to choose from.
The royal casino online offers you over 3000 online games that are free to download, including flash games , internet casino games , gambling games and various other games to best enjoy.
A poker tournament is a tournament where players compete by playing poker. It can feature as few as two players or numerous players playing on a single table.
Winstar casino offers a world of luxury, excitement and entertainment. It features the best in casino games and offers daily, weekly and monthly poker tournaments and also offer great promotions to take advantage of.
River rock casino in northern California features slot machines, table games, casino games, and a variety of dining options with live entertainment, shows and events. It is a certified 4 star casino in the Alexander valley.
Visit the choctaw casino that is a premiere Oklahoma casino, and is an ultimate destination for Poker, Blackjack and slots, you can also have the best of entertainment at the live shows and events and have the best accommodations and hospitality.
Casino in michigan feature slot machines and table games, the Blue Chip Casino & Hotel is the best in Michigan spread over 42500 square feet it is the largest casino in Michigan City.
Join the play free bingo online and have free bingo fun, free bingo bonus offers, free bingo deals, and free bingo promotions to have a great time while you experience bingo.
New billy bingo is the no.1 multi award winning bingo companies that offers a great range of promotions, games to ensure that you have the best bingo gambling experience.
Foxy bingo online was launched in 2005 and is now one of the biggest names in UK bingo industry. When you deposit £10 we'll give you £20 for free.
Cheeky bingo online offer all the regular types of games, including both 90 and 75 ball games, in the cheaper 5p and 10p rooms, join the site to enjoy great winnings and also take part in the various on-going jackpots and tournaments.
Some of the best bingo games and offers can be claimed at the popular bingo sites uk like the foxy bingo, the wink bingo and the 123 bingo and many more.
Online roulette plays are the best, compared to the land plays they are convenient, and are easily available with best of offers, bonuses, promotions and free opportunities.
The best roulette strategy is to practice the game, learn the odds, the rules and try the different variations, get used to the tae before you wager, with knowledge and practice you can definitely be a great roulette gambler and free roulette online.
An online casino offer a wide variety of bonuses and offers, review sites will reveal the addresses of the sites that offer the best casino bonuses.
Play poker online and experience the most popular casino game from your comfort zone conveniently.
11 Spinning Haskell Logo
What do you think about this modified logo ? Feel free to use it, even on the main page if you like.