[arch-haskell] Near past, present & future

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 03:51:47 EST 2008

2008/11/15 Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr>:

> Solution for everything would be to have hacman (or pinky as suggested
> in #arch-haskell) - wrapper for pacman written in Haskell, using libalpm
> and enhanced to use cabal-install.

What about other automated systems for installing stuff? It would be nice
to have them too and not be restricted to just Haskell:

* RubyGems (gem install...)
* PyPi (don't know if there's automated installer here as well)
* Perl (cpan, though Firmicus has a script to convert them to PKGBUILDs)

A generic API to which these kind of installation systems could
be added as modules would be really cool.

> Some advantages would be:
>
> 1) all the deps would be (hopefully) properly resolved by using
> cabal-install
>
> 2) the hacman (pinky) would be (hopefully) more robust and feature-wise
> than yaourt

Such a tool in Haskell would be really nice. I've not much idea of Haskell,
but it is indeed beautiful... I just can't wrap my head around functional
programming much. Simple programs are OK, but anything a bit more
complicated makes me run back to Python :)

> 3) hacman (pinky) could be used by non-haskell users exposing to to the
> wonderful land of Haskell (e.g. there is nice himerge GUI for Gentoo
> written in Haskell), i.e Real-World-Haskell used for system admin
>
> 4) no need for cabal2arch 'cause we would use *.cabal descriptions
> directly from Hackage
>
> 5) single tool to handle all Arch-related system tasks

One tool to rule them all
One tool to bring them to Arch
And in simplicity bind them.

:D