[arch-haskell] pandoc

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sun Sep 14 01:18:25 EDT 2008

abhidg:
> Hi,
>
> I don't understand why haskell-pandoc has ghc
> and all these haskell-* packages as dependencies.
> Surely some of them are only makedependencies, right?

Because it provides a library. The library component doesn't function
without ghc. So we use the general strategy with libraries. To use them
you need:

    * a compiler
    * any dependencies must also be available.

haskell-pandoc package also provides the pandoc binary too, which
doesn't need these things.

> Also, I think pandoc should remain in [community]. However,
> the haskell overlay is already providing packages for
> haskell-pandoc. A possible solution is to adopt haskell-pandoc
> and its dependencies, moving them to community, while adding
> a replaces=(pandoc) and provides=(pandoc) to haskell-pandoc.

I could also tweak the cabal2arch script to call the generated package
'pandoc' if that would help (we already have special cases for other
application/library packages, like xmonad and hscolour).

> Another thing I noted is that the pandoc 0.46 PKGBUILD in
> the haskell overlay misses a depends=(gmp) (namcap shows
> it's required). So the packages from the overlay can not
> always be used as-is.

Probably makes sense to update to 1.0 and use cabal2arch to generate it.

-- Don