[arch-haskell] Proper dependencies, please!

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 14 01:33:00 EDT 2009

Yesterday there was an update to haskell-x11 available (1.4.6.1) and pacman
was happy with installing it.  GHC however, was not since a few of the other
installed packages depended on version 1.4.5.  Despite ghc-pkg complaining
loudly pacman pushed on and in the end I was left with a somewhat broken
system.

To fix it I ran "pacman -Rcs haskell-x11", but that of course means I can't
use xmonad until it has been recompiled against the newer haskell-x11.

AFAICS this all stems from xmonad having the dependency on
"haskell-x11" when it in fact ought be on "haskell-x11>=1.4.5 haskell<1.4.6".

Is it possible to get these more specific dependencies into PKGBUILDs in some
automated fashion, so that breakage like this can be easily avoided?

/M