[arch-haskell] Grumblings about install size

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 14:26:32 EDT 2010

* On Monday, April 05 2010, Don Stewart wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>There are some grumblings about the "650M install" size for ghc 6.12
>Arch package. A lot of this can't be helped, and disk is cheap, but it
>might be worth a check to see how we're packaging GHC.
>
>On Fedora, for example, they ship the prof libs in a separate package,
>so their install size is 270M (around half).
>
>Maybe we should do that?
>
>As a comparison, the compressed package sizes on various distros:
>
>    GHC package on Arch: 109M
>    Mac installer:       138M
>    Windows installer:    55M

Where did you get this size from?

Here I have:

$ pacman -Si ghc

    Repository     : extra
    Name           : ghc
    Version        : 6.12.1-4
    Download Size  : 55512.89 K
    Installed Size : 681026.00 K
    Packager       : Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org>
    Architecture   : x86_64

And that seems to include profiling libraries.

My concern for splitting out the profiling libraries is that it will
increase the total download size for people who need to profile.

Perhaps it might be easier to put a script on the arch wiki for deleting
profiling libs (and updaing ghc's registry) after the package has been
installed?

--
Adam