[arch-haskell] Profiling

Piyush P Kurur ppk at cse.iitk.ac.in
Tue Dec 20 14:13:24 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55:15PM +0100, Fabio Riga wrote:

> >> Please do keep profiling libraries. Otherwise it will be really
> >> difficult for developers.
>
> We could provide it as an additional package... Anyway, it was just
> an idea...

Not a bad idea at all (like in Debian for example). Similar idea could
be explored for doc as well, however I think this would mean building
the "package" thrice or equivalenty generating 3 PKGBUILDS per package.

(1) For the normal library
(2) For the profiling version
(3) for the haddock packages.

On the build side (1) and (2) will require two independent builds,
they will need to depend on the appropriate packages. For example if
foo depends on bar then foo-lib should depend on bar-lib where as
foo-lib-prof should depend on bar-lib-prof etc.

Clearly it is possible as other distros (Debian) have done it but do
we want to go this route ? Or is there a cleverer way that I
completely miss?

regards

ppk