[arch-haskell] [arch-general] Haskell Support Was: Xmonad version?

Philip Müller mail at philip.in-aachen.net
Tue Dec 20 20:31:29 CET 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:01:00 +0100, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>
wrote:
> As I understand "the Arch way" it means using the *latest* stable
> release.  A good example of this is the move to python3.  I think
> Haskell shouldn't be treated in any other way.

I agree. Haskell packages should always be the latest possible (regarding
dependencies) stable version, like all other arch packages. Cabal is there
for installing arbitrary specific package versions, something an arch
package repo can never provide.

The haskell platform is something that just doesn't fit with the arch
spirit.

If we want to provide the "Batteries included" experience, maybe we could
provide a meta package that contains (most of) the things from
haskell-platform, but as the latest possible release (as is the arch way)?

This is just a suggestion from someone new to this group, but not entirely
new to haskell on arch.

Best Regards
  Philip