[arch-haskell] [arch-general] Haskell Support Was: Xmonad version?

Fabio Riga rifabio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:28:12 CET 2011

2011/12/28 Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 02:36:50PM -0800, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> > >
> > > I suspect the most worthwhile thing to do is an attempt to use 7.4rc1.
> > >

> > It's a good idea too! I would suggest to have two repositories then.
> >
> >   [haskell-stable] and [haskell-preview]
>

> [haskell] and [haskell-testing] would make more sense :-)
>
> > Right now people are sending patches to package maintainers to get
> > them working with 7.4.
> >
> > We can help with that process with the [haskell-preview] repository.
>
> I should point out that there is quite a bit of work involved if
> someone wants to forge ahead with this before the Arch maintainers get
> GHC 7.4 and packages built with it into [testing]/[community-testing].

As I mentioned before, I think there will be a lot of work including:
building a 7.4 snapshot (not very stable...), patching *many* packages.
I've already used 7.2.2 (from [testing]) for producing a [haskell-testing],
so, if you don't mind, I could take charge and starting from here. At least
we could have in few days an up-to-date repository.

Then we should find a method to pass packages from [haskell-testing] to
[haskell] and starting to use ghc 7.4 as soon as it will be available in
[testing].

Fabio