[arch-haskell] Adding another data file for dependency "hints"

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 14:10:07 CET 2011

On 2011/1/2 Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-01-02 12:18 +0100 (00:7)
> Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
>> Dependencies are expressed as a union of intervals : here
>>   [2.1, 2.2) union [3.0, infinity)
>> (square brackets mean inclusive, parentheses mean exclusive bounds).
>>
>> * how should multiple intervals be treated ? I currently use the last
>> one, Peter suggests to use the first one, maybe we should use the
>> convex hull of possible dependencies ?
>> * when the dependency spec is reduced to a single interval [a,b]
>> should we output >=a or <=b ? if the interval is unbounded then there
>> is no problem.
>
> The wording of your reply implies that you are unaware that you can specify
> single intervals. Perhaps that was unintentional, but in case it wasn't I give
> the following example: depends=('foo>=a' 'foo<=b'). You can also use ">" and
> "<", so a single interval, bounded or unbounded, is not a problem. For multiple
> versions it makes sense to use the one that is satisfiable by the current set
> of packages.

I suggested to use this trick some time ago, and I don't remember
getting any answer, so I thought it was either undesirable, ugly or
not working. My point of view on this is that we should select a
preferred version depending on what is in the repository, and this is
the point of the new data file.

--
Rémy.