[arch-haskell] On datafiles in libraries

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Jan 7 10:35:51 CET 2011

Hi Magnus,

 > https://github.com/archhaskell/cabal2arch/issues#issue/20

thank you for tackling this problem.

 > I think that we should remove the data files completely from the
 > packages and only host them at a well-known URL (on kiwilight.com or
 > haskell.org).

The notion that those files reside on a remote server concerns me a
little, because it means that reproducibility goes, basically, straight
out of the window. If you run cabal2arch to generate a PKGBUILD, and
then run the exact same command just a few seconds later, it might
generate a different PKGBUILD just because some invisible file has
changed on a remote server at the other side of the earth. That property
feels like it's bound to create surprises for people. Also, this change
would reduce the amount of information expressed by cabal2arch's version
number even further into the direction of "zero" than it already is.

 > I have a feeling that using shared objects (dynamic libraries) will
 > force us to change it anyway.

Has anyone figured out how shared linking works in GHC 7? Does it
utilize shared libraries if they're available?

Take care,
Peter