[arch-haskell] On datafiles in libraries

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jan 9 21:16:28 CET 2011

On 08/01/11 08:36, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> On 2011/1/7 Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> I've just created issue 20[1] for cabal2arch.  Basically there's a problem
>> with the data files provided in archlinux, but used in cabal2arch.  Having
>> data files in a library package breaks our basic assumption that executables
>> only need to makedepend on the libraries it uses.
>>
>> In this case I still think that we should remove the data files completely
>> from the packages and only host them at a well-known URL (on
>> kiwilight.com or
>> haskell.org).  cabal2arch should then default to use that URL, for
>> development
>> and testing it might be interesting to add a command line switch to load it
>> from another location, a URL or file.
>>
>> For now I assigned the issue to Remy.  Feel free to re-assign it if you want
>> to.
>
> Since I had the patches on my local repository, I pushed them
> upstream. For the moment, it still uses files, because I also think
> cabal2arch should remain usable without an internet connection, and
> have reproducibility properties. However, it's only a matter of
> seconds to make it use
>   http://andromeda.kiwilight.com/~remy.oudompheng/arch-haskell/default/
> instead.

Fair enough, there is overwhelming opposition to my idea of using data files
from URLs by default so I'll stop suggesting it :-)

Rémy, does this change fix issue 20[1] completely then?  If so I'll
close it,
unless you beat me to it ;-)

/M

[1] https://github.com/archhaskell/cabal2arch/issues#issue/20