[arch-haskell] RFC: A new tool for dependencies

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jan 11 21:57:46 CET 2011

Hi Magnus,

 > So, what are your thoughts.  Should I continue hacking on this?

there already is a tool that can figure out which versions of a
given set of packages are compatible with each other: cabal-install.
The code of that utility features an algorithm to compute something
that's called "InstallPlan". In my humble opinion, that is what we
should use to maintain our PKGLIST.

Unfortunately, cabal-install doesn't have a library interface that
we could access, so to get that done we would have to hack that
tool, or we would have to convince Duncan to hack it for us. Either
way, I feel that it's more sensible to re-use that existing code
(which is being developed and maintained by the community) rather
than re-inventing all this from scratch.

Just my 2 cents ...
Peter