[arch-haskell] Obsolete information on the web

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 00:49:18 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> it appears that there are plenty of web pages about ArchHaskell that
> contain obsolete or even misleading information. A quick search revealed
> the following URLs:
>
>  * http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines
>
>   This page contains plenty of obsolete information that should be updated
>   (such as the URLs for the cabal2arch repository, etc.). Furthermore, we
>   should probably mention the URL of the binary repository on that page.

Yes, this one's a bit messy.  Don't think it needs all that content,
duplication of information elsewhere, extraneous info.  I like that it's in
the Arch wiki, though.

>  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Policy
>
>   This page is out-dated. Also, it's not quite clear how it relates to page
> on
>   the archlinux.org wiki.

How is this page outdated?  It doesn't mention HABS or anything recent, but
I don't think it's misleading / inaccurate.

>  *
> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Arch_Haskell_Group_Maintainership
>
>   The process described on that page out-of-date.

I rather like the content of this one.  Not familiar with the ways the
process is outdated, though.

>  * http://www.galois.com/~dons/arch-haskell-status.html
>
>   This page hasn't been updated since Aug 15th, 2010.

I don't have any issue with this page.  Still can be a useful reference, not
misleading.

>  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Preferred_Package_Tools
>
>   This page says that yaourt cannot be used to install Haskell packages
>   because it's doesn't support $provides, but I believe that it does, in
>   fact. I'm not a yaourt user myself, though, so I wonder whether someone
>   could very this?

The reason for that page existing in the first place was that yaourt didn't
support $provides, which ghc packages leveraged.  I updated it back then
when the new version of yaourt did support that, but I should've gotten rid
of the old info too.  Don't think we need that page.
Use any package manager you want.

> I thought about fixing those pages, but I feel a little overwhelmed by the
> sheer number of pages that need to be edited. It feels like there is quite
> bit of redundancy. Does anyone have a suggestion how we might tackle this
> task?
> Would anyone mind if we'd just delete most of those pages?
>
> And while I am at it ... where is our home page supposed to be? Is it on
> Github? On haskell.org? On archlinux.org? archhaskell.wordpress.com?
>
> Any opinions anyone?

I don't feel so much that an "official" page is needed, but maybe the most
natural-feeling home would be an entry in the Arch wiki that describes the
process, and links to the Github page?
 -Leif