[arch-haskell] Starting to help

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jun 26 18:51:39 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 04:37:53PM +0200, Fabio Riga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> yesterday I submitted a patch to HABS repository just because I met
> some out-of-date packages in AUR. Then I read the "story" of this
> group in this mailing list and thought that I can give some help. I
> think I can take responsibility for a bunch of packages and care for
> updates, but I need some hints.
>
> 1) In order to test for broken packages, do I really need to use the
> makeworld script? I think it would take too much time! I would prefer
> to simply compile what I use, also to find if makepkg can resolve
> dependencies. Launching makeworld in another directory with only my
> packages would do the job?

I've written a tool called cblrepo[1] which aims to make it possible
to maintain a consistent set of packages without having to rebuild
to find broken dependencies.  It is currently not used by anyone
involved in ArchHaskell, AFAIK, but it is surely possible to use to
speed up your ArchHaskell work (I know this from first-hand
experience).  I should point out that cblrepo can do more than this.
For ArchHaskell work I think the following are valuable features:

  - Maintain a consistent set of Haskell packages, checking
    dependencies when adding and upgrading packages.
  - An interface to follow Hackage:
    - Download the entire set of cabal files for all packages.
    - Check for updates to packages you maintain in the set.
  - An interface for adding/upgrading packages, takes a cabal file
    (filename), or URL for a cabal file, or a package name and version
    number (grabbed directly from Hackage).
  - Can show a list of all packages that need to have their revision
    bumped when a set of packages is upgraded.
  - Can show a list of all packages that need to be rebuilt when a set
    of packages are upgraded, the list is printed in a good build
    order.

/M

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cblrepo
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay