[arch-haskell] Compiling large-memory programs in HABS (gitit available for those with RAM)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun May 15 20:27:07 CEST 2011

Hi Leif,

 > So, I was thinking of firing up a Large (7.5 GB) EC2 instance to
 > compile it.

that's a nice idea. :-)

 > Does a similar option exist for 32-bit?

No, I'm afraid not. I have two ArchLinux boxes available that I use for
building the i686 repository, but neither machine has more than 1GB of
memory. As of now, there are several packages that cannot be compiled on
those machines -- such as the latest version of 'crypto-api'. I'm not
sure what to do about that. So far, I've simply avoided updating those
packages to the latest versions in HABS, but this approach clearly won't
scale.

Maybe I should by some RAM? One of those machines is an EeePC, though,
and I'm not sure whether I could even extend its memory.

Anyway, at the time being, I wouldn't be able to build Gitit for i686.

 > gitit is a nice tool to run, but the build requirements might put off
 > casual usage - this is a real advantage to having pre-built binary
 > packages available.

Yes, indeed!

 > Also, in the future, should I throw in a heads up when packages take say,
 > over 1GB of RAM to build?

Yes, please do. That's very helpful information. We can figure out how
to deal with the situation on a case-by-case basis, which feels quite
reasonable.

Take care,
Peter