[arch-haskell] GHC 7.4.1 or HP 2011.4.0.0??

Fabio Riga rifabio at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:48:25 CET 2012

Hi all,

after some time trying to maintain a repository with ghc-7.2 I fell a
little frustrated about the Haskell community in general: ghc developers
release new version as "stable", (7.2 and 7.4) but recommend to use Haskell
Platform. For this reason many packages work with 7.2 (so I suppose they
will work with 7.4 as well) and many others need the older version.

I've already voted for 7.2 in the past, and now I would like to see 7.4 in
arch as soon as possible, but many packages will not compile with ghc-7.4
(leksah...). On the other hand Haskell Platform is too old for many new
package (for example yesod or snap).

Maybe we should have a ghc-7.4.1 package and a ghc-7.0.4 (in Arch we have
for example python(3) and python2, ruby1.9 and ruby1.8). This would imply
having two version of some other package and could be very complicated to
maintain. If there are enough maintainers (4-5) IMHO we should try this.
Otherwise I vote for ghc-7.4 and to drop packages that fails with it.

Fabio