[arch-haskell] Current procedure to install Hakyll (with deps)

gdweber at iue.edu gdweber at iue.edu
Sat Jul 28 03:16:12 CEST 2012

Building the packages for hakyll, hamlet, and kin
turned out to be easier than I expected
-- for some reason, the process automatically selected the right flags
and the right version of blaze-html to depend on.

However, it seems that what Fabio Riga has done on this
is much farther along than what I've managed to do,
so I think I'm going to abandon this line of effort
and use his packages -- which I hope will soon be
integrated into the main [haskell] repository.

I have a couple of other questions relating to how I might
make any further contributions to the [haskell] repo.

1.  Due to Magnus's preference for taking pre-built packages
and patches, rather than accepting "pull" requests through github,
I'm inclined to think that my maintaining a fork of the
habs project on github is not serving any useful purpose,
and I'm thinking of deleting the fork.  Any objections?

(
This urge to delete is compounded by my unfamiliarity with git and
receiving increasingly bizarre error messages,
for example, today when I tried to push to my own
remote:

     $ git push myfork hakyll

     ! [rejected]        hakyll -> hakyll (non-fast-forward)
    error: failed to push some refs to 'https://github.com/gdweber/habs.git'
    hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
    hint: its remote counterpart. Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull')
    hint: before pushing again.
    hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

I can't understand how my local branch can be behind the remote,
since I'm the only one pushing to the remote!
I'm really spoiled by darcs, and the more I use git,
the less it makes sense.
)

2.  Also I'm wondering if instead of a fork (or just a clone) of
archhaskell/habs, and a "topic branch" in git for what I want to add,
it might be better to create a completely different repo,
such as Fabio has done for [haskell-extra] --

    https://github.com/EffeErre/habs-extra

-- in which the packages from [haskell] are treated
as "distribution packages" in cblrepo.

What are the pro's and con's of this approach?

Greg