[arch-haskell] ghc: /usr/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/hslogo-16.png exists in filesystem

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Oct 19 15:11:39 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Fabio Riga <rifabio at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/10/18 Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net>
>> On 13 October 2012 11:20, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>> > mloskot ~ $ sudo pacman -Syu
>> > error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
>> > ghc: /usr/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/hslogo-16.png exists in filesystem
>> > ghc: /usr/share/doc/ghc/html/libraries/synopsis.png exists in filesystem
>> > Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
>>
>> We've diverted the thread a little bit from my original question
>> which seems still unanswered yet.
>>
>> Does it mean currently there is no reliable cure for the update problem?
>
> Now I updated to ghc-7.6 and the method I already exposed just worked.
>
> 1. pacman -Rcs ghc
> 2. rm -r /usr/share/doc/ghc
> 3. pacman -S ghc cabal-install haskell-whatever
>
> Those file wasn't in any package before, so point 2 is mandatory.
>
> I also agree that deinstallling and reinstalling everything
> Haskell-related is very bad, but this is far more comfortable than
> using cabal and having 10 versions of every package installed (and
> likely broken). As Haskell programs are statically compiled, I really
> don't see the point in using such a tool like hsenv. I stick with the
> archhaskell system.

Yes, it's bad, but not necessary.  The spurious png-files need to be
removed manually, but there is no strong need to remove ghc and all
that depends on it.  You will see a few warnings, but they are "under
control", basically they are unavoidable when combining ghc-pkg and
pacman.  I'll be happy to elaborate more on this, if you want, but
it'll have to wait until I'm at my laptop.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org