[arch-haskell] Re: What to do now?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:36:46 UTC 2013

On 08/10/10 22:14, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Now that Don has decided to focus his Herculean powers in other directions I
> wonder what people feel should be the plan for the future.
>
> Do we try to fix up Don's tools and scripts so that they are more
> conducive to
> team work?
>
> Do we give up on having all of Hackage in AUR and instead rely on tools like
> bauerbill?
>
> Do we try to do something like what Xyne suggested--set up a Haskell ABS and
> publish pre-compiled packages in [arch-haskell]?

Here's what I'd suggest based on the last few days' discussion:

• Create an ABS-like tree for all hackage packages.
• Populate it with the current versions of packages as found on AUR.
• Keep the tree on github.

This will allow us to, in the short term:

• Distribute the work of keeping up with Hackage.
• Still upload packages to AUR.

In the longer term I'd like to evolve the tools to work with this setup.
 At some point I'd love to see this:

• Some advanced packages builders are able to work straight against the
ABS-tree on github, e.g. bauerbill.
• cabal2arch modified to work against a local version of the ABS-tree.
• A tool capable of determining the reverse dependencies of packages
kept in the ABS-tree (so that all packages depending on the updated one
can be rebuilt).
• An (official) repository for binary Haskell packages, maintained by a
team of people.

What do you think?

Just in case I went ahead and created the archhaskell organisation on
github.

/M

magnus@therning.org           Jabber: magnus@therning.org