[arch-haskell] Where are we headed?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:37 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

there seems to be a lack of coordination. It feels like we are wandering
off into all kinds of different directions. I would like to think that
there is a common goal that we are trying to achieve, but I'm not sure
whether that is the case. Maybe it would be helpful if everyone involved
in this effort could post a short description of what exactly it is that
he or she is interested in accomplishing?

Personally, my goal is to provide a stable and reliable distribution of
Haskell packages that ArchLinux users can easily build and install.
Whether those packages are distributed in binary form or whether they're
available on AUR is irrelevant to me. My main interest lies with the
file tentatively called "PKGLIST" [1]. That file is hard to come up
with, and it's particularly hard to maintain in the presence of constant
updates that mutually exclude each other.

Now, if we had a consistent package list, then we could easily use it to
update AUR or build a binary repository. Without a consistent package
list, however, we can do neither.

Take care,
Peter

[1] https://github.com/peti/arch-haskell/blob/master/PKGLIST.full