[arch-haskell] Re: Where are we headed?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Oct 12 07:37:40 UTC 2013

Hi Xyne,

 > Kaiting Chen wrote:
 >
 >> Hi Xyne, so you know that for a while I've been trying to get a new
 >> server up on EC2. It's just about done, so if you guys don't mind being
 >> test subjects I'd like to set you up there. Note that the new server is
 >> built on ephemeral storage and thus in the case of a hardware failure
 >> all data will be lost. On the other hand it is backed up every thirty
 >> minutes. If you need greater granularity than that please keep critical
 >> data in an off-location version controlled store. Disk space and
 >> bandwidth are not a problem at the moment, and I'll let you know if they
 >> will be.
 >>
 >> I believe that ACL's are supported. That is the preferred way of sharing
 >> things right now. Let me know if you need anything beyond that.
 >>
 >> And if you guys are hosting a repo, I can set up a VirtualHost for you.
 >>
 >> Kaiting.
 >

 > I replied to say that it sounds good and that I don't think we'll need
 > finer granularity. I also said that I wanted to discuss the name of the
 > VirtualHost with the team before setting it up.
 >
 > So, what do you think?

this is really good news. IMHO, the name of the VHOST is a secondary issue.
We don't need to decide that until our binary repository is in shape for
public usage. Personally, I'd like something along the lines of
haskell.archlinux.org or archlinux.haskell.org, but I don't feel strongly
about it.

How would that server be accessed? What kind of information does Kaiting
need to set-up an user account?

Take care,
Peter