[arch-haskell] Starting to help

Leif Warner abimelech at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 07:39:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:

> I'll try to describe my work-flow briefly:
>
>  1) Clone the 'peti/arch-haskell' repository.
>
>  2) Run "git submodules init" to set-up the HABS tree.
>
>  3) Run "cabal update" to download the latest database from hackage.
>
>  4) Run "make" to re-build all files in HABS based on the configuration
>    that's described in the PKGLIST file. The format of that file is:
>
>    | haskell-aes       AES             0.2.8           1
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^       ^^^             ^^^^^           ^
>      $pkgname          $_hkgname       $pkgver         $pkgrel
>
>  5) Run "git diff" in the habs/ sub-directory to verify the changes.
>    Then commit those changes in habs/.
>
>  6) Run "make world" to build the latest version of the binary
>    repository.
>
>  7) If all went well, push the updated version of habs/ to Github.
>
> Furthermore, you can run ...
>
>  * "make updates" to get a list of all updates available on Hackage.
>   Edit PKGLIST to pull in those updates that you want, then run "make
>   all" to verify that all version constraints can be fulfilled. This is
>   usually an iterative process, in which one package after another is
>   updated until all updates that can be performed have been found.
>
>  * If habs/ has been changed by another committer, you can run
>   "scripts/extract-pkglist habs/habs/* >PKGLIST" to synchronize the
>   PKGLIST file with the current state of the repository.
>
>  * If you have updated packages "foo" and "bar" in habs, then run:
>
>     make scripts/reverse-dependencies
>     cd habs/habs
>     ../../scripts/reverse-dependencies . foo bar
>
>   This will show you the list of packages that need to be re-built
>   after that update. If that looks okay, run
>
>     ../../scripts/bump $(../../scripts/reverse-dependencies . foo bar)
>
>   to bump the $pkgrel of all those packages. Commit those changes in
>   habs/. Then run
>
>     scripts/extract-pkglist habs/habs/* >PKGLIST
>
>   to synchronize the PKGLIST file, and do the usual "make all && make
>   world" routine to verify that everything is okay before pushing the
>   changes to Github.
>
> It's a bit of a mess, but it works okay. :-)

Should we put these instructions up on the README of the GitHub project for
HABS / ArchHaskell ?  I've just been manually mucking about with HABS this
whole time.

>  > 4) Why haskell packages in extra depends on ghc-7.0.3 (still in
> testing)?
>
> There is an update of GHC available in [testing], and unfortunately some
> packages have been published that were built with that newer GHC version
> before GHC itself is available. In short, Haskell support is currently
> broken in ArchLinux. Unfortunately, these things happen, but it's most
> probably going to be remedied soon.
>
> Take care,
> Peter

About that - I installed ghc 7.0.3 and glibc 2.1.4 from testing to work
around that.  I'm hoping they get moved into extra/core sometime soon.

-Leif