[arch-haskell] Upgrading to monad-control-0.3

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Oct 12 07:39:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:19:40PM +0100, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
[...]
> cabal supports installing multiple versions of the same packages so this
> should be pretty easy to do the same.

Well, one of the things that cabal doesn't do is attempt to wire in
the package docs into the system-wide index.html file.  Not impossible
to solve by any stretch of the imagination, but it just goes to show
that it requires more thought and work than changing the name of a
package in a PKGBUILD.

>> What would the purpose of providing two versions of some packages
>> be?  Just to tick the has-haskell-platform box, or is there more
>> value to it?
>> What packages should be built using the -hp packages?  If any,
>> should we try to do anything to avoid the diamond dependency
>> problem?
>
> The purpose is wider than this. Having a second version of a package
> (P, V1, V2), might enable to build a whole set of packages which
> requires P>V1 while another set requires P≤V1.

It would also risk causing diamond dependency problems among the
packages in [haskell].

> Again, as long as we can push the authors to upgrade their packages
> this is fine but we cannot assume this will always be the case.

True.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay