[arch-haskell] Contributing - Getting started questions

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 24 21:10:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:23:21PM +0200, Fabien Dubosson wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am starting with Arch-Haskell after one year of "cabal-install
> only" philosophy, to clean up a bit my management of Haskell
> softwares (and why not getting involved if I can be helpful). I have
> some questions and I guess this is the right place to start.
>
> So first of all about the general workflow to be sure to understand
> it correctly. As far I have understand/guessed that:
>
> 1. Someone writes a cabalized haskell library/executable and puts in
>    on hackage.
> 2. Using the "cblrepo" tools (cblrepo add ...), hackage
>    libraries/executables can be added to "habs".
> 3. PKGBUILD and archlinux packages can be builded from habs and then
>    installed on the system
> 3. Finally some packages are integrated to the "main" habs and
>    Magnus (or someone else?) signs the package and puts it into the
>    [haskell-core] repository.
>
> Is that correct?

Except that you have two points numbered 3, yes, that's pretty much
correct.

> Then, to start I followed exactly the build steps on the habs README
> and I get an error:

You are aware though that you don't /need/ to build habs in order to
use it, you can just use [haskell-core] right away.

>  $ git clone git://github.com/archhaskell/habs.git
>  $ cd habs
>  $ cblrepo sync
>
> Everything is ok until here.
>
>  $ cblrepo pkgbuild $(cblrepo build base|tail -n +2)
>  Failed patching /tmp/cblrepo.EJEnE3/PKGBUILD with /home/fabien/habs/patches/pango.pkgbuild
>  Failed patching /tmp/cblrepo.SFv6KO/PKGBUILD with /home/fabien/habs/patches/gtk.pkgbuild
>
> Here the command works, but two patch can not be applied (these
> packages seem not to be the cause of he problem anyway).

Yeah, in this case it happens because I haven't had to rebuild those
packages since upgrading cblrepo to put all flags settings in the
configure step

> And finally I get an error with this last command:
>
>  $ ./makeahpkg -c -- $(cblrepo build base | tail -n +2)
>  [[ TRUNKATED ]]
>  *** Building in /home/fabien/habs/haskell-diff
>  ==> ERROR: No chroot dir defined, or invalid path ''
>
> I played a bit with the makeahpkg script and removing the "-d"
> option of makechrootpkg on line 71 seems to works a bit more.

Hmm, that's a bit worrying.  The -d flag should automatically install
the package in the chroot after building.  It seems to have
disappeared in newer versions of makechrootpkg.

>  sudo setarch ${arch} makechrootpkg -u -l ${build_chrootdir} -r ${CHROOT_DIR} -- -i
>
> The first package (haskell-openglraw-1.4.0.0-2) builds correctly, it
> asks me to install it (on the chroot), but during the install this
> message appears:
>
>  OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0: cannot find libHSOpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0.a on library
>  path (use --force to override)

How are you installing the package?
That particular archive should be included in the package you are
installing, so

    % pacman -Ql -p haskell-openglraw-1.4.0.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz|grep libHS

should result in a list of three libs/archives:

    /usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/site-local/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0/libHSOpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0-ghc7.6.3.so
    /usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/site-local/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0/libHSOpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0.a
    /usr/lib/ghc-7.6.3/site-local/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0/libHSOpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0_p.a

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Finagle's Second Law:
Always keep a record of data -- it indicates you've been working.