[arch-haskell] devtools version problem

Fabien Dubosson fabien.dubosson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 22:01:21 UTC 2013

> We absolutely do need the static libs to be included in the generated
> packages.  Ghc 7.6 uses static linking by default and thus all our
> tool packages rely on static libs in order to build properly.  It
> could of course be changed but it'd require a change to cblrepo to
> generate PKGBUILDs that uses `depends` rather than `makedepends`.

So I made a proposition (pull request to cblrepo) to explicitly include the
"staticlibs" option in generated PKGBUILD since this is the GHC default
linking (and also because it was suggested by Allan here:
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-October/025542.html
)

Actually the generated PKGBUILDs seem to already use 'depends' and not
'makedepends', or am I missing the point?

I also noticed two points: First it seems the archlinux default idea is to
use dynamic linking:
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2013-October/034337.html.
Secondly GHC offers the possibility to build and use dynamic libraries:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.6.3/html/users_guide/using-shared-libs.html.
Based on these two facts, it appears possible to build the haskell
ecosystem on a dynamic library principle. It will of course require a large
refactoring, but does it worth it? It is just curiosity ;)