[arch-haskell] haskell-src-exts: Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Apr 27 19:53:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 05:08:58PM +0200, Nicola Squartini wrote:
> Version 1.15.0 of HSE was not compiled with llvm, was it? At least from
> what I see from the git history.

That is correct.

I held back on adding HSE to [haskell-testing] for a long time due to
GHC 7.8 not being able to compile it with profiling turned on.  It
wasn't until I had a brain fart and thought of trying with llvm that I
managed to get it built.  I think it was around bringing GHC 7.8 into
[haskell-core] that I attempted building HSE normally again, and it
worked fine.  Then at the next HSE release the build problem was back
and I went back to building with llvm.

These days the ArchHaskell build system is my home laptop:

    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

The results point out the fragility of programmer expertise: advanced
programmers have strong expectations about what programs should look like,
and when those expectations are violated--in seemingly innocuous
ways--their performance drops drastically.
     -- Elliot Soloway and Kate Ehrlich