[arch-haskell] Improve user experience with Haskell

Fabien Dubosson fabien.dubosson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 11:38:28 UTC 2014

> I use a few haskell- packages from AUR that are orphaned:
>  haskell-bytestring-mmap : Orphan
>  haskell-crypto-random-api : Orphan
>  haskell-pem : Orphan
>  haskell-setenv : Orphan
> I suppose I should get around to setting up a [haskell-core]-like repo
to host them, though?

I will try to give an answer for the general idea, and at the end for
your particular case:

All that packages are only libraries, so they must fall into one of
these cases:

  1. You use them because one of the AUR packages you use (an executable
Haskell) require them. For instance, if you use haskell-hakyll, it
requires haskell-snap-core which requires haskell-bytestring-mmap. In
this case I think it is the role of the maintainer of one of the parent
package to maintain haskell-bytestring-mmap, because it is needed to
make his own package to work. One day or another, his package will be
broken due to an orphaned dependency. Maybe ask him to adopt and
maintain it now?

  2. You use them to develop in Haskell. In this case the best way is to
use cabal with sandboxes. If you want to distribute it or to use it on
your system, then use `habs` to create the PKGBUILD from the cabal
description file. Then it's up to you to `makepkg` it, to `AUR` it or to
set it up on your own repo.

In your particular case (I saw that you are owning haskell-hakyll and
haskell-snap-core) you can also adopt haskell-bytestring-mmap in AUR,
there is no need to provide a repository. The idea is just to remove
from AUR all haskell packages that are not needed and maintained anymore
to avoid user disappointment. Clearly these packages are not in this
situation.

By the way currently haskell-hakyll can not be built because (at least)
haskell-enumerator is broken (missing 'staticslib' in the options array
of the PKGBUILD).