[arch-haskell] Recent change to Hackage causes delay in updates

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 27 19:07:01 UTC 2014

I just found out the hard way that Hackage has been modified to allow
minor edits of .cabal files without bumping the version number.  This
is not an uncontroversial feature[1].

The current situation is particularly irritating since the changes
are reflected only on the web interface and the 00-index, but not in
the packages themselves.

The first victim of this is pandoc; the dependency on http-client in
1.13.1 has been changed.  Previously it required a patch for
ArchHaskell, but it doesn't any longer.  Well, that is, it doesn't
require one for creating the PKGBUILD (based on the 00-index), but it
does while building (naturally based on the tar-ball).

I'm currently thinking about possible solutions to this.  Most likely
I'll have to pull in the .cabal from the 00-index into the package and
replace the one found in the tar-ball.  However, I'd like to think
about it a bit more before deciding how to handle it.

So, the end result is that there won't be updates until I've had time
to modify cblrepo to handle this :-(

/M

[1]: https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues/52

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay