[Haskell-beginners] Haskell in K-12 education?

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 08:28:28 EDT 2008

Does anybody know of any uses of Haskell in teaching programming in
K-12 education?

Recently, I read an interesting essay entitled "Why Computer Science
Doesn’t Matter" (see
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/essays/not-matter.html), by
Matthias Felleisen and Shriram Krishnamurthi, on how using multimedia
examples in teaching programming in K-12 education could potentially
elevate programming to a Fourth R ("'rogramming"), in addition to the
current Three Rs ("reading," "’riting," and "’ritmetic").

They suggest tying together programming and mathematics, using the
idea that "modern arithmetic and algebra doesn’t have to be about
numbers," but that "[i]t may involve images, strings, symbols,
Cartesian points, and other forms of “objects.”"

Their discussion reminded me of _The Haskell School of Expression_
(see http://www.haskell.org/soe/), by Paul Hudak, which also uses
multimedia examples to motivate programming, but at a more advanced
(college) level.

Currently, DrScheme (see http://www.drscheme.org/) (based on Scheme)
and Squeak (see http://www.squeak.org/) (based on a dialect of
Smalltalk) are two programming environments that are often used in
K-12 schooling to teach programming, but I see no reason that Haskell
could not fulfill this role as well.

Does anybody know of any books/tools for using Haskell as a tool to
teach programming in K-12 education?

-- Benjamin L. Russell