[Haskell-beginners] Re: [Haskell-cafe] bottom case in proof by induction

raeck at msn.com raeck at msn.com
Wed Dec 31 22:50:28 EST 2008

I am afraid I am still confused.

> foo [] = ...
> foo (x:xs) = ...
> There is an implied:
> foo _|_ = _|_
> The right side cannot be anything but _|_.  If it could, then that would imply we could solve the halting problem:

in a proof, how I could say the right side must be _|_ without defining foo _|_ = _|_ ? and in the case of

mean not every function with a _|_ input will issue a _|_ output, so we have to say what result will be issued by a _|_ input in the definitions of the functions if we want to prove the equvalence between them?

However, in the case of   map f _|_  , I do believe the result will be _|_ since it can not be anything else, but how I could prove this? any clue?

ps, the definition of map does not mention anything about _|_ .

Thanks
Raeck