[Haskell-begin] Cabal-Install Update Problems

Jeff Wheeler jeff at nokrev.com
Sat Jul 26 23:33:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

(Note: I also posted this a few days ago to libraries at haskell.org
without much response, and thought I might have more success here.
Please correct me if this is inappropriate.)

I'm trying to use cabal-install on two machines, Debian Sid and OS X
10.5, but I am unable to run "update" on either. Most other commands
seem to work fine, but the networking for "update" gives an error on
both machines, completely independently:

   Downloading package list from server
   'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
   cabal: recv: resource vanished (Connection reset by peer)

Running with the -v3 option does not provide much more information:

   Downloading package list from server
   'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
   Sending:
   GET http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/00-index.tar.gz
HTTP/1.1
   Creating new connection to hackage.haskell.org
   cabal: recv: resource vanished (Connection reset by peer)

Both machines are using a vanilla Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall
FVS318v3, a very simple prosumer router. Obviously, the router works
fine for everything else, and has been running flawlessly for ages.

This is using cabal-install from darcs and the cabal 1.4 branch.

Thanks a bunch for helping,

Jeff Wheeler