[Haskell-beginners] Re: Unicode in GHCi

Ahn, Ki Yung kyagrd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:11:07 EST 2008

Christos Chryssochoidis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to type in GHCi some non-latin characters, but when I try it,
> no characters are inserted at all. Latin characters though are typed
> in fine, and in any other shell except GHCi I try non-Latin characters
> get typed without problem.

You should use the utf8-string library to print multibyte string
literals in GHC.

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/utf8-string

Linux distributions usually have this packaged.
Otherwise, you can to install this using cabal.

I am not sure whether there is a direct support for wide characters in
Haskell.