[Haskell-beginners] Indentation of local functions

Miguel Pignatelli miguel.pignatelli at uv.es
Mon Feb 16 10:32:23 EST 2009

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum, I'm pretty new to Haskell
(although I have some previous experience in functional programming
with OCaml).

I'm trying to write the typical function that determines if a list is
a palindrome.
The typical answer would be something like:

isPalindrome xs = xs == (reverse xs)

But I find this pretty inefficient (duplication of the list and double
of needed comparisons).
So I tried my own version using just indexes:

isPalindrome xs =
   	isPalindrome' 0 (length xs)
   	where isPalindrome' i j =
             if i == j   -- line 43
             then True
             else
             	if (xs !! i) == (xs !! (j-1))
             	then isPalindrome' (i+1) (j-1)
             	else False

But, when trying to load this in ghci it throws the following error:

xxx.hs:43:12: parse error (possibly incorrect indentation)
Failed, modules loaded: none.
(Line 43 is marked in the code)

I seems that the definition of isPalindrome' must be in one line. So,
this works as expected:

isPalindrome xs =
   	isPalindrome' 0 (length xs)
   	  where isPalindrome' i j = if i == j then True else if (xs !! i)
== (xs !! (j-1)) then isPalindrome' (i+1) (j-1) else False

Is there any way to make the local definition of isPalindrome' more
readable?

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,

M;