[Haskell-beginners] clarification on IO

Michael Easter codetojoy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:54:24 EST 2009

Thanks Andrew, this is really great...

My main revelation here is that a "side-effect" in other monads is still
pure.  e.g. The Logger example in RWH builds up a list of log strings
"behind the scenes" but this is much different than writing to disk, or
launching missiles, to quote SP Jones.

'Revelation' is a good word.... The tectonic plates are coming together! I
needed this.

thanks!
Mike

ps. re: bind/hidden. Monads strike me as a glorious instance of
encapsulation that is not OO, which appropriated the term in the 1990s.

Michael Easter
http://codetojoy.blogspot.com: Putting the thrill back in blog

http://youtube.com/ocitv -> Fun people doing serious software engineering