[Haskell-beginners] To use random number monad inside function

Krzysztof Skrzętnicki gtener at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 22:57:41 EST 2009

You need to store random generator seed somewhere and keep track of updated
value after calling randomness-related functions.You can try doing it
manually, but what really fits here is monad that keeps track of that seed
value. Good news is: there is already package with such monad on Hackage. In
particular, try package MonadRandom (
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/MonadRandom-0.1.3 ).
If you have cabal-install, you can simply get it with "cabal install
monadrandom" (and if you don't have cabal-install, you should get this
wonderful tool right now!).

There are some examples within the documentation here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MonadRandom/0.1.3/doc/html/Control-Monad-Random.html#1

All best

Christopher Skrzętnicki