[Haskell-beginners] haskell problem

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Jul 22 23:01:24 EDT 2009

B1lal wrote:
> im having problem with  this Haskell functions
> female, male :: String -> Bool
>
> for finding out the gender for a given name which can be inferred from the title.

Are you trying to implement it? Have you tried Data.List.isPrefixOf? Are
you aware of just how many different titles there are in the world, both
gender-specific and non-gender-specific (although admittedly fewer and
less ambiguous than it is for names)?...Probably some of them will
appear after someone's name rather than before, too, and then you get to
play with fun contradictory things like "Madam So-and-so, Prince of
Wales".  This smells like a fishy thing to do, I suppose it's like
homework rather than the real world...?

P.S. gender discrimination! :-P

-Isaac