[Haskell-beginners] haskell variables - or not

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Sat Jul 25 00:25:59 EDT 2009

Hello....

I'm 2 days into Haskell. NOT new to Perl, PHP, M(umps), TCL, newLISP. I'm
using "YAHT.pdf" as an intro to Haskell. Here's a quote:

[quote]
... if you have a value x, you must not think of x as a register, a
memory location or anything else of that nature. x is simply a name, just as
Hal  is my name. You cannot arbitrarily decide to store a different person in
my name any more than you can arbitrarily decide to store a different value in
x. This means that code that might look like the following C code is invalid
(and has no counterpart) in Haskell:

int x = 5;
[/quote]

So is fair to say that an expression in Haskell like:

x = 5

is more like a constant in imperative languages - say Perl? E.g.

 use constant SECONDS_PER_DAY => 86400;
--
duke