[Haskell-beginners] High precision doubles

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto RafaelGCPP.Linux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 09:24:41 EDT 2009

I am reading this and still don't understand what is the question. You
should never operate two floating point numbers expecting to result zero.
Period.

Floating point numbers are intrinsically imprecise. Every time you write an
interactive process with floating points in the exit conditions, you should
use some tolerance, either relative or absolute.

Absolute exit condition:

abs (xnew - xold) < epsilon

Relative exit condition (valid only when dealing with non-zero values)

abs ((xold+xnew)/xnew) <epsilon

If you cannot apply this, then either:

1) You are dealing with VERY small values, close to the minimal precision
(2.2250738585072014e-308, on 64-bit doubles),

2) You are dealing with small and big numbers, differing by 37 orders of
magnitude amongst them, when the small number will be set to 0

To solve this you should:

for 1) Scale your numbers... double, multiply by 1024, whatever, as long as
they separate from the minimal precision. It is like putting your maze under
a HUGE microscope!

for 2) Addition in situations as this one is like adding a pinch of salt on
the ocean. For multiplications, try using Log-domain operations... That
might work... Praying might work as well...

Where epsilon is

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:17, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de>wrote:

> Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 04:14:19 schrieb Sean Bartell:
> > > When adding a new node/hex to the graph/maze, I pick an existing node
> and
> > > get all of its neighbour co-ordinates, filtering out co-ordinates that
> > > represent nodes already present in the graph. The problem is that, due
> > > floating point errors, these co-ordinates are not be exact. If hex A
> has
> > > the co-ordinate for hex B in its list of adjacent hexes, hex B would
> not
> > > necessarily have the co-ordinate for hex A in its own list. Things get
> > > mismatched quickly.
> >
> > You won't be able to get it working easily with floating-point numbers.
> > Ideally, you would use integers for the code you're describing, then
> scale
> > them to the proper floating-point values later.
>
> Say the hexagons have side length 2, the centre of one is at (0,0) and one
> of its vertices
> at (2,0).
> Then the centre of any hexagon has coordinates (3*k,m*sqrt 3), for some
> integers k, m and
> any vertex has coordinates (i,j*sqrt 3) for integers i, j. So in this case,
> he could work
> with floating point values; using a large tolerance, he could build a
> gigantic grid before
> having false results.
>
> But of course, it is much better to use (k,m), resp. (i,j), as coordinates
> and translate
> that to floating point only for drawing.

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto
Electronic Engineer, MSc.