[Haskell-beginners] compiling first program --> warning

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 09:15:33 EDT 2009

When compiling my first haskell program (the program on p. 71-72 of RWH),
which I have in a file called hhask.hs, I got the following warning:

$ ghc --make hhask
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( hhask.hs, hhask.o )
Linking hhask ...
/usr/bin/ld: warning -F:
directory name (/Users/me/Library/Frameworks) does not exist

The program works fine, but I'm wondering about that warning.  Does
that mean I installed haskell in the wrong place?  I installed haskell only
last week on osx 10.4.11, and here is what I did:

1) I downloaded GMP.framework and GNUreadline.framework, which my
mac automatically unzipped and placed on my desktop.  I then dragged
the resulting two folders into Library/Frameworks as per the instructions
at:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_682.html#macosxintel

2) I downloaded ghc-6.8.2

3) I unzipped and untared into:

/Users/me/my_tar_extractions

4) I cd'ed into the newly created ghc-6.8.2 folder.  The full path to that
folder is:

/Users/me/my_tar_extractions/ghc-6.8.2

5) I read the INSTALL document in the ghc-6.8.2 folder.

6) I ran the command:

$ ./configure

7) Then I rand the command:

$ sudo make install

8)  At the end of the install output, I got a message that said:
Installation of ghc-6.8.2 was successful.

To use, add /usr/local/bin to your PATH.

Warning: this binary distribution does NOT contain documentation!