[Haskell-beginners] Re: installing cabal with 6.10 - ubuntu

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Tue Mar 10 04:49:39 EDT 2009

B wrote:
> I found some directions online that said that compiling from source
> might be a good way to go.  I downloaded and compiled ghc 6.10.1,
> installing it locally.

Next time include the extra-libraries in your sources, to avoid
installing so many packages afterwards.

> Ok.  Now when I go to build network I get this:
> Could not find module `Data.Generics':
>       it is a member of package base-3.0.3.0, which is hidden
>
> According to google, the above message actually indicates that 'syb' is
> needed, the bug is here:
>
> - installed syb-0.1.0.0.
> - still get the same message.
>
> At this point I'm stuck!

Are you sure you have version 2.2.0.1
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/network/2.2.0.1/network-2.2.0.1.tar.gz?
This package does not need syb as dependency.

The file Network/URI.hs contains:
#ifdef BASE4
import Data.Data      ( Data )
#else
import Data.Generics  ( Data )
#endif

and network.cabal sets the appropriate flag:
  if flag(base4)
      build-depends:    base>=4
      cpp-options:      -DBASE4

> I should say that I'm using this to install all these things:
>
> runhaskell Setup configure --user
> runhaskell Setup build
> runhaskell Setup install
>
> So everything is installed 'locally' and not globally.

This should be fine.

HTH Christian