[Haskell-beginners] Understanding recursion in Haskell.

Zachary Turner divisortheory at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:32:03 EDT 2009

A few others have given more complete walkthroughs / traces of the
executions, but just to add a little.  When it finally "clicked" with me and
recursion became easier to understand, it was when I stopped trying to think
about the entire execution chain.  For example, let's say I run a ticket
resale (scalping) shop and someone calls me and says "hey I need two tickets
for the show this saturday."  I tell the guy sure no problem, I'll call you
back in 2 hours.  But actually I don't have the tickets, so I call one of my
connections.   Unfortunately, he doesn't have the tickets either so this
process ends up repeating for a while.  When I talk to my connection on the
phone I don't think "ok he's going to call John, and John's probably going
to call William, and then William might call Frank, etc".  I just think
"he's either going to call me back and say yes or no, regardless of how he
arrives at that answer".  That's the key to recursion.

In the case of finding the maximum element of a list, just imagine breaking
the list into two pieces.  The first piece is the first item in the list,
and the second piece is everything else.  If everything else is empty, then
the first piece is trivially the maximum, it only has one element.
Otherwise, compare the first element to the max of everything else.  Take
whichever one is bigger.  The entire chain of stuff that happens as a result
of "the max of everything else", isn't important.  The important thing is
that IF you have the first element, and IF you have the max of everything
else, then the max of the whole list is the greater of those two items.