[Haskell-beginners] several questions: multi-param typeclasses, etc.

Michael Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 1 14:22:19 EST 2009

So if I understand correctly, when the compiler sees this class definition:

> For example, throwError in in the MonadError class definition:
>
> class Monad m => MonadError e m | m -> e where
>     throwError :: e -> m a

Then it sees this instance:

> Instances:
>
>    Error e => MonadError e (Either e)

Because (Either e) is a monad, it "fits with" the m in the class
definition. (The m has the constraint Monad on it.) Knowing that, the
compiler uses the functional dependency to conclude that the given instance
is the only possible instance. Is that right?

Another question: in Control.Monad.Error, I see the instance

MonadError IOError IO

which leads to the question: apparently I can throw errors in the IO monad
using throwError. But there is also throw and throwIO. What is the difference?

Thanks,
Mike