[Haskell-beginners] nim programme

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 15:07:26 EDT 2009

Hi John,

regarding the first problem, just provide the type of your range explicitly:

nim = do
  let range = (1,10) :: (Int,Int)
  x <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  y <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  z <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  return [x,y,z]

This is because the annoying monomorphism restriction, which will most
likely be reduced in the next version of Haskell.

You can also disable this restriction:

{-# LANGUAGE NoMonomorphismRestriction #-}

import System.Random

nim = do
  let range = (1,10) -- no explicit type annotation needed anymore
  x <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  y <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  z <- getStdRandom $ randomR range
  return [x,y,z]