[Haskell-beginners] edit-compile-test loop

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:38:48 EDT 2009

Well, basically I switch from doing manual "testing" (entering
functions with test arguments by hand into ghci, checking types w/ the
inferrer, etc.) to compiling via cabal build (which requires me to
make sure I've got all the appropriate modules listed in the
appropriate places, make sure I'm not importing hidden modules, etc)
and running a test suite (typically QuickCheck properties with some
HUnit thrown in around the IO stuff and for corner cases of functions
(eg, making sure things fail gracefully when I have to write a partial
function, etc)) and working generally more as if I were writing in a
language like Java (where most of my dev cycle is interacting with
JUnit, rather than a interpreter). Typically it works out to:

1> edit some stuff
2> cabal build
3> fix any errors; goto 1 else continue
4> run test suite [see 1]
5> if any tests fail, and that wasn't expected, fix the issue; goto 1
else continue
6> goto 1 until ready for release.

Towards the release date, this process helps me add functionality
slower, and ensure everything is actually doing what it's supposed to.
I tend to work on projects solo, so I'll do various naughty things
like develop without writing alot of tests or documenting, etc. When I
get ready to release, I really want to make sure I've covered
everything that needs to be tested with tests, documented everything
appropriately. As I code (even before this part of the project) I
generally keep track of what I should write tests for, even if I
haven't written the test yet. During this phase I build up the test
suite to cover all the things I've written down, and the test suite
kind of becomes part of the specification at that point. If something
in the future causes an early test to fail, then that change "breaks"
the program, if it causes a current test to fail, then I might want to
see if that test is really ensuring the property I want.

I should note, I'm not a CS-guy, I'm a math guy, and this kind of
methodology is more like when I write a math paper than what I think
most people do when they code. When I have a ECT loop for math papers,
it starts with me making wild conjectures and "testing" them (trying
to come up with proof sketches), later that turns to this slower
process of actually, formally proving things (the compiling part of
this cycle) and finally it hits the, "Now make it pretty" phase, where
I eliminate superfluous arguments/lemmas, rework proofs to flow
better, etc (the "make sure the tests pass" phase). I don't know if
this is similar to "normal" dev cycles, but it does me nicely. :)

HTH

/Joe

[1] right now I use my own little hacked up testrunning script (just
loads the stuff in ghci, and I have one function that sits in a base
"test" directory, underwhich the project module hierarchy is mirrored.
So if I have, as I do now, Text/HWN/Parser/HWN.hs, then I also have
Test/Text/HWN/Parser/HWN_Test.hs. in the Test directory I have
Test_Harness.hs, which has a main function which runs all the tests in
the directories below it. Each directory has a similar Test_Harness.hs
(though all the names are different) which loads all the tests of the
directories below it, and exports a single test group. All of this is
manual, though I've been planning a kind of manager thing for it
lately. But thats a story for another day.